Many Jamaicans will tell you that as a young child their Grandmother, or mother prepared fritters in the morning for breakfast to eat. I love them. They taste great, are easy to make and are one of those fun foods that you eat with your hands. Now its your turn to enjoy this delicious Jamaican style breakfast treat!
Please visit your local Caribbean food market to purchase the list of ingredients.
Here is the list of ingredients.
- 1 half pound of salt fish, PLEASE BE SURE TO BUY THE BONELESS SALT FISH!!!!!
- 1 onion
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 cups of flour, depending on how much fritters you want
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of water
- cooking oil
- Some paper towel to absorb excess oil
Preparing to cook your Jamaican breakfast Fritters
- Soak the salt fish in water for about a half an hour
- Chop the garlic, pepper and onion in to fine pieces.
- Flake the fish in to small pieces with your fingers, once it’s soaked.
- Put the flour into a bowl, and Stir in the onion, garlic, pepper, salt and pepper mixture.
- Slowly stir in the water, stop adding the water when the mixture has a slightly gloppy in consistency.
Cooking Your Jamaican Style fritters
- Fill a frying pan with about a quarter deep of the cooking oil.
- Use a table-spoon to pick up your Fritters mix.
- Spoon as much of the batter on to the table-spoon as you can without going over.
- Place your fritters batter into the frying pan. Each table-spoon will be one fritter.
- Fry each fritter for about 6-10 minutes until brown, if its turning black then you burned it.
- Turn over and fry the other side.
- Place the fritters on to some paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Your Fritters are ready to eat. Enjoy.
PRINT THIS PAGE AND TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE FOOD MART, when you buy your ingredients!!!
This breakfast is also Rasta friendly, as it does not contain any meat. Great for rasta children too.