How to cook Jamaican Rice and Peas (Yum)
To cook Jamaican Rice and Peas, You will need….
- ½ pound dried red peas (kidney beans) or small red beans (1 cup)
- 6 – 8 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole scallions, crushed
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 ½ teaspoons dried
- 2 cups of uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons salt or use sea salt or no salt to make it Ital Rasta Style
Ital food laws
How to Prepare Jamaican Rice and Peas
Wash the beans thoroughly and place them in a medium sized saucepan with the coconut milk, black pepper, scallions and thyme.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 – 2 hours, or until the beans are almost tender (adding water as needed to keep the beans covered, in the water)
Remove the thyme if using whole sprigs and scallions.
Add the rice and salt.
If necessary, add more water so that the liquid is 1 inch above the rice.
Bring it to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Fluff the rice with a fork. The grains of rice should easily separate and not be mushy.
Rastafari. Enjoy your Rice and Peas.
Rice and Peas can be eaten with any meal.
|More Ital Rasta Food Diet Recipes|